Friday, August 17, 2012

Living in the wrong era??!!??

Fancy cake with number 50 candles.  Decorated with ribbons and star-shapes, in pastel tones on black background. Stock Photo - 4315791
Credits to 123rf.com
5 months into 50 and I feel fabulous. Fitter than I was 5 years ago, eating healthier, exercising regularly and life is simply wonderful. No office politicking, no back stabbing and no brown nosing! I live my life just the way I feel like it and I have full support from my family, I can't ask for more, seriously. Living my dreams daily...isn't it wonderful & fabulous?

Just today, my daughter said..."mom, if there's no FB I dunno what you'd do"...She says she sees me on FB daily, which is true. I 'report to work' on FB daily when I don't travel. I enjoy reading what my friends posted on their walls. I also blog. To-date, my daughter and son say they think I am about the only parent they know of who blogs!! Well, as I mentioned, I do what I feel like it and I feel good. So, what gives???

Just a few weeks ago, my friend asked something to the tune of "Are we living in the wrong era?". Frankly, at this age and era, I seriously don't need a lot of things :
  • I don't need big screen TV because when I put on my lenses and don Rocker57's reading glasses, even my laptop is big screen TV!!  
  • Teddy bear in glasses reads a book with pictures Stock Photo - 4158902
    Credits to 123rf.com
  • I don't always need to play online games because I get to play my favourite games from my smart phone as and when I feel like it!  And...its quite often which irate Rocker57! LOL
  • I don't need to write letters because I can reach my friends easily via SMS, Whatsapp, Viber and email. Except for the former, the rest are FREE!!! Landlines are even better, free calls within Malaysia and I can yak for hours!!! FYI, I used to write to my former boyfriend pages and pages...even the regular postman will sometimes comment "eh, minggu ini tak banyak cerita?"...meaning, "eh, this week not much to say?" based on the thickness of the letters....but it sure was fun waiting impatiently for the letters to arrive week on week....ahhh...those were the days.
  • Red mailbox with letter on a white  3d rendered image Stock Photo - 12464051
  • I don't need a radio because my iPhone plays the songs that I like, no commercials and annoying DJs. I can download the songs I want as and when I want to. And best of all, in MP3/4 version....super solid sounds. Love their company whenever I do my ironing...beats the loneliness.
  • Vintage radio . Isolated over white background. Stock Photo - 10000891
    This was one of the type of radios I grew up with.
  • I don't need to spend money on greeting cards and postage because I can send e-cards, SMS, Whatsapp, Viber or even call their house phone...more personalized and immediate.
  • I don't have to go out if I feel too lazy/hot to eat out. Mc Donald's, Nando's, Chili's, Sarpino, Domino's & Pizza Hut Delivery are just a phone call away. Or my kids will pack food home...yup, lazy mommy!!!
  • I don't have to queue up at the banks to deposit, withdraw or transfer money. I can do all that at leisure and its just a few clicks away. Although I still don't trust the technology (spams, phising, hacking, etc) but I still do some internet banking whenever I need to albeit minimum transactions. On most occasions, we do it via ATM (Automated/Automatic Teller Machine, lest we forget what the acronym really stands for in say another 50 years).
  • I don't have to go out to run/jog in the park for I can safely work out from the comfort of home. Of course, I don't get to meet new friends but I think the lesser the 'bitching' the better my life is. Am happy with the friends I already have, so why trouble trouble unless trouble troubles you!
  •  Exercising At The Park : Woman walking cross country and trail in autumn forest
  • I don't need to spend money on developing films, my digital cameras and smartphones can save hundreds of pictures. And the best part of it, I can always delete the awful ones and keep the nice ones... Those days, every picture is precious because it is costly to have them printed. I recall my granddad having one of this camera. Now, I can even show it in movie/powerpoint/slide style, isn't it fantastic?
  • I don't need to drive to Penang for Char Kueh Teow or fly to Italy to savour my pizzas and pastas....or even to Paris for Foie Gras. Not that I eat Foie Gras anyway but you get my drift. Everything is just a short drive away....globalizaation, borderless world....hmmm....
  • Credits to wikipedia (foie gras)
  • I don't need an encyclopedia, everyone is wiser now with 'google'. We don't think much now nor do we remember to retain most of what we learn...for everything else, there's "google". The most comprehensive search. Also, no arguments on who is right or wrong, google search, find the answer....and END OF ARGUMENT!
  • Credits to Google.
So, am I living in the wrong era? For me, this 5 decades have been a series of learning and relearning. Is it difficult, yes at times but if its for the better, why not? Do I like all the advancement & progress in life? Yes and No...well, that would be another story yet to be told. 

Until then,....I love living and I am ever so positive. Even if you place me in Victorian era, like my fellow biker friend and blog reader Sam says "U can cook out something from little things" I'll find something interesting to say / cook up...so LET'S LIVE LIFE! There's no wrong or right era...just how you choose to live it! "Hakuna Matata". 

p.s. all photos credit to 123rf except those stated otherwise, thanks.

2 comments:

sam said...

i dont FB i dont tweet i dont have an iphone! rich is so busy, even working on sats. i dont work on sats. i work on fri, sometimes, and yet struggling to find time, and i dont FB. i dont blog, but i like to publish heavy stuff. clue..google it.

Unknown said...

Hehehe...Sam...need more info to google lah!