Thursday, August 16, 2012

HING LOONG Taiwan Mee & Durian Cake, Melaka 15 Aug 2012

Rocker57 was deadbeat after returning late from a day's trip to & fro East Malaysia, so I offered to chauffeur drive him to Melaka & back the following day for his business trip. Left Subang at 7.10am, arrived at Bachang, Melaka at 8.40am for breakfast. 

So, why are we here? What's special? It's Melaka's famous Hing Loong Taiwan Mee, of course! I've not been to Taiwan nor have I eaten Taiwanese food in Malaysia yet, so this is as best as it gets. Rocker57 and I have eaten in Hing Loong many times over 2 decades and more and we always come back when the urge kicks in. 
Hing Loong Taiwan Mee
This corner shoplot opens for business from 7.30am to 5pm or so the signage says. The special noodle & deep fried pork/beef chops used to be cooked by the Taiwanese lady and then her sons but today, we were served by foreigners. A now normal & sad scene across many famous eateries throughout Malaysia...why sad you say? It's because many has no successors and if this trend continues, a lot of good tasting authentic food will be lost in history. And new generations will not be able to savour all these good food ever. As that was going through my mind, viola! The Taiwanese lady came in and smiled at me. She has mellowed somewhat over the years. Those days she used to be grouchy and shouts over the hot stove (I don't blame her really, I would too...so hot and business bustling). Now, she takes time to smile to her patrons.  And time for her to take her well deserved break.
My bowl of Taiwan Mee, Pork ribs, soup & sambal chili

The Proprietor relaxing with his daily paper.
The noodle still tastes the same. The crispy on the outside and juicy on the inside fried pork chop is tasty to the last bite. Nothing has changed because SHE is there to supervise :)  The noodle is simple but it is the chili complement and the fabulous specially marinated fried pork chop that brings the entire meal to a 'high'. Two bowls of that and two glasses of home-made soya bean milk and we are happily sated. Check out Hing Loong Taiwan Mee at 11J, Jalan Bachang, Melaka.

After over 4 hours hibernating somewhere while Rocker57 go about his day, I finally received the call that we are done for the day. Yippeee....I almost dozed off while waiting. Hadn't had good sleep for few days now....the lack of hours in sleep i.e.
As a souvenir for waiting, I was offered tea & cakes. Nadeje again??? Oh no...we will try something different today. We headed to Durian Cake at 27 Jalan Inang 2, Taman Paya Rumput Utama, Melaka. Tel # : 06 - 336 7888 (beside/behind Tesco) As you exit Tesco, just look to your left, one cannot miss the huge signage in GREEN!!!


On our previous visit to Tesco, we have tested the durian puffs so this time we wanted to try the cake. 
The signage as you step into Durian cake shop

Depicting it's shop's name...the Durian cake

The durian puffs we tried some time ago

The durian chiffon cupcake
We ate the durian chiffon cupcake and the durian cake. As always, Rocker57 must have his cuppa, but be forewarned, it is not freshly made but from a Nestle dispenser. I had my Angry Bird RO water.


Suggest you not drink this water as it has no nutrition list nor has it the manufacturer's details. Can't recall if there is any expiration date either. 
Anyway, back to the cake. The cake was just another cake, to me that is. It has the durian look but lacks the durian cream flavour and 'kick'. Also, not creamy enough to taste the durian cream, more cake then cream...so its just a cake, really. 


On the other hand, the durian chiffon cupcake or to me similar to the now in trend 'Hokkaido cake' was a 'thumbs up' for me. The durian cream inside the chiffon cake was ample and it oozes out as you take your bite. The aroma....oooh...intoxicating unlike the cake. I love it hence I packed some home for my son & us. I had one today but it is best consumed when fresh as the chiffon hardens a tad after a day. But, it is still delicious. My son liked it too :)

On the way home, I was so sleepy I had to literally slap myself from sleeping. But stubbornly hung on till Dengkil R&R, then only I handed over the wheels to Rocker57. I had no choice OK!!!...he rarely allows me to drive his Passat...so since he gave the green light...it was Whoooosh...on drive! Turbo engine mahhh....must push the pedals right???  But, but....psst...there was the constant 'nagging' of 'hey, watch the pedals...its festive time...lots of speed traps'....sigh...I guess I know now that the constant speed of 110kph was the culprit behind my sleepiness....aaaahhhhh "R we there yet???" 

Blurp....oooohhh "open the windows, quick"....the after effect of durian chiffon cupcake reeks the entire car!! Ooopss.....and we had our fair share of burping!! Hahahaha, until I blog soon, take care and remember to live life full & stay happy always! Ta-ta.

No comments: