Monday, December 10, 2012

Puffs, puffs & more puffs...

I love the cozy ambiance...white, clean & welcoming.
By now my readers should know that I live to eat, eat and eat apart from big bikes and fast cars. Last Friday was no exception, except that I went overboard. What do you mean? You must be asking. Well, let me tell you how I couldn't have drown even if I jumped off the Titanic after my eating spree.... so bloated, I can be used as 'human float'!!! hahahaha...

Anyway, a close friend of mine recommended & brought me to check out this place. It serves great puffs, aromatic ginger fried rice and the the chef's recommendation 'lam mein seen' in Cantonese or "lam mee suah" in Hokkien. I think it is called soya noodles (seriously, I do not know the English name for this noodle, except for the fact that it is commonly eaten traditionally by Hokkiens on their birthdays). And how do I know? Obviously, I am Hokkien! DUH! Incidentally, "Lam" literally means soft in Cantonese.

my bowl of "lam mein seen" Delicious to the last drop! The dark sauce is vinegar.
This bowl came piping hot. Served with fried shallots as garnishing. Ingredients include mein seen, sawi or mustard greens, many pieces of chunky succulent lean chicken meat, spring onion and egg stirred into the gravy. I tried it in is original taste. It was good but a tad sweet due to the egg in gravy. But the proprietor insisted that it tastes better with vinegar. I did just that and you know what? It was absolutely great. The acidity in the vinegar complements the entire dish. Viola, in under 10mins, entire bowl was lapped clean by the both of us! Yum Yum.

Hey, I thought you are going to mention about puffs....hehehe (I can read your mind you know...hold your horses)...coming up next. But not after I share that their mushroom & chicken pie is also great. Check out the pictures....


The crust was thin and easy to cut. Ample filling with peas, mushroom, meat, carrot & herbs, etc. Eaten plain or with the sauce....its "plate licking" good. What a better way then to clean this two dishes with a warm cup of honey lemon.

And then, we ordered pineapple bom! and curry chicken puff...ahhh, now I am talking...yeah, yeah...I hear you! So how was it? The pineapple bom dough was buttery powdery. You get the taste of the butter and it melts in your mouth without much effort. For anti-butter people, fret not, they do sell pineapple bom in margarine dough too. Hey, best of both worlds, eh? Indeed. The pineapple filling was soft and tasty, not too sweet...it was just right for a person like me who refrains from consuming anything sweet. Not overwhelmingly sweet like other pineapple tarts that I've eaten. 

Left : Pineapple Bom, right : Curry Chicken Puff
Next, the curry chicken puff - Verdict? Superb!!! This is their signature puff, so obviously it is SUPERB. The filling was very tasty & flavorful from the first nibble to the last bite. The crust was thin, flaky and oh so so crispy, you would want to savour each flake that drops onto the plate. Just look at the cut portion to know what I mean....
Can you see those fillings trying to 'jump' out???
I feel I am not doing justice if I left this place without savouring their other signature puff. I had to try the Durian puff. The tough part is not to break the puff while frying, else the entire durian puff is wasted as the durian filling will ooze out from the puff. FYI, Durian puff fillings are made from fresh durian flesh.

durian puff...

At first bite, I was speechless! It was so so flavorful & rich in taste. It was to me, like eating a fresh seed of durian! The fillings seems to be oozing out after each bite and inviting you to 'eat me, eat me'!! My glutton partner who said she was full couldn't resist the temptation and ate her portion too. Aiyah...wish she didn't do that...I would be so glad to finish every last morsel of this durian puff. Numero UNO!!! Blurp!!! 

I quickly placed order for 5 pieces each of the two signature puffs lest they are sold out. While I was eating joyfully, I saw many patrons coming in and leaving with boxes of take-away. Note : all puffs are served fresh daily! 

So, where to get these heavenly puffs??? Hahahaha....love taking you all over the place before revealing this hidden treasure (to me!!) but obviously renowned to people in Damansara Uptown. 

  





Puffs Garden has been operating for 5 years in Damansara Uptown. Just in case you are wondering where it is? It is just a few doors away from Village Park. And they have recently opened a kiosk selling the puffs in Publika. So, what are you waiting for? Go check out and reconfirm my taste buds. They have many other stuffs too but com' on, I only have 1 stomach....wish I were a cow...hmmm...then I can eat 4x my limit....hmmmm...that would be great! 4 times the fun in eating....WOW!!!


By the way, parking is an issue but double parking is a common sight. If you are in a rush, call to place your order, they will gladly entertain your request.


Puffs Garden
15 Jalan SS21/37
Damansara Utama (Uptown)
47400 Petaling Jaya
Tel : +603 7729 3115
or
Lot 25, Level UG
Publika Shopping Gallery
Solaris Dutamas
1 Jalan Dutamas 1, 50480 KL  
   
I wonder if the proprietor will give me a complimentary meal and more puffs the next time I visit??? This time around I had to pay for it but it sure was worth every sen. But a free meal would be great because I am giving them free publicity in my blog....what say you?

Hey, if you want me to check out any restaurants, hawker stalls or 'tai chow' and want me to blog about it, drop me a line or bring me there. I'm game.

Until my next eating spree....stay happy, healthy and live life full!    
 

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Crispy and so Yummy,
from the puffy,
from the buttery,
to the Lam Mee
to the bloaty,
in the confines,
of your tummy,
Superbly,
eating spree!

Unknown said...

Philoto your health :
It was so yummy,
I had to fill all my tummy,
So that I can savour all those yummies,
To make my hungry tummy happy!!!

cheekylaine said...

Check you Unlce Chow Kopitian next time you go to Cameron Highlands.

It's operated by a retired couple Damansara Jaya who loved the weather there.

Uncle does most of the order taking and serving while Aunty prepares the beverages and food.

I never fail to visit them when I'm there.

Unknown said...

Good suggestion but please give location of uncle Chow. Cameron Highlands maybe small but I don't want to burn too much fuel searching for it...must be eco-friendly mah!!!

cheekylaine said...

Uncle Chow Kopitiam
Unit C2-G-01, Block C2, Taman Royal Lily,
39000 Tanah Rata, Cameron Highlands

Tel: +6012-205 2778

It's near Cameronian Inn. Sorry don't know how to download the map.
However, you can google Uncle Chow Kopitiam - there's lots of review

Unknown said...

Thanks Cheekylaine.