Wednesday, August 8, 2012

NEW BIKER FRIENDS & KUANG FEI TANGKAK BEEF NOODLE

7.30am and we were off! Refueled at Dengkil R&R and was at designated meeting point by 8.15am! Who are we meeting this time around? Well, well, well...its our new biker friends from Seremban. In total, there were 5 bikers and me - sole pillion. Initially, there were supposed to be another 2 pillions (wives) but at the 11th hour, changed of plans, hence I was the rose amongst the thorns!!!

from left : John, Ashley, Wolf & Rocker57(missing is JC)

We have Ashley on his Kawasaki Versys 1000, Anthony@Wolf on his Kawasaki Z750, JC Thor on his Kawasaki Z1000SX (like rocker57's) & finally John@Johnnie on his Kawasaki Vulcan 900 (chopper bike). After a short discussion, the organiser arranged for all to meet at the toll in Tangkak, Johor. "Everyone is free to ride at their own speed" says Ashley. Now, this statement I like very much; for everyone has their own speed & as long as they regroup at the next meeting point....all's good! I love high speed riding and driving. So each time I hear things like these, I smile...hehehe...can speed..wooohooo...

Ashley's words were thrown in the wind, new riding camaraderie spirit; everyone still looked out for one another "subconsciously". Big bikers know that choppers can't speed so they took turns to look out for the 'lone ranger'. At one point, Wolf & rocker57 had to stopped at the Ayer Keroh R&R as we couldn't see the rest of the gang....until about 5-8 minutes later. All's well...good team spirit I must add.
From the toll, we headed to Tangkak town. At the traffic light just before the police Station, turn right towards Jalan Solok. Just a stone throw away was what we came for. Restoran Kuang Fei, Tangkak's Beef Noodle on the right side of the street. No 20 Jalan Solok, Tangkak, Johor.


Chef hard at work .
 
The first thing that caught my attention was the strong reek! Non beef eaters will definitely be turned-off by the overwhelming beefy smell. But to beef lovers....'we have arrived'....ahhh...food haven!!! Strangely, after a couple of minutes, one gets immune to the smell :))
Unlike Seremban Beef noodle which is served dry and in dark soya sauce as well as in soup, the former the obvious all time favourite, this outlet only serves it in soup form. Hmmm...our only choice of selection was 3 types of noodles...kway teow, mee hoon or mee! Not even 'mouse tails' noodles...loh shi fun!! To each its own :
Mixture : some with innards but all in soup!!

My bowl of Kway Teow Beef Noodle
So, how was it? The Kway Teow noodle was thick both in thickness and size, soft but not silky smooth. Unlike the many I've eaten which are thin, smooth and silky. The soup was light, not oily and very tasty without the beefy smell. The tenderloin meat was cooked just right, soft & juicy with generous portions BUT too thick. I would have appreciated the meat more had it been sliced more thinly. The toppings included salted vegetable & a mixture of garnishing like spring onion and cilantro/coriander. Two types of chili condiments to suit your taste, I preferred the blended bird's eye chili / chili api. Each a bowl & 7 drinks cost us RM39. Reasonable considering the lavish serving of meat.
We then headed out to Port Dickson from Tangkak>Ayer Keroh toll>Alor Gajah>Sg Udang>Masjid Tanah>Pengkalan Balak. An interesting ride going through numerous villages and then....hey...I smell salt water!! We were traveling along the coastal area! The sea was rough & choppy but Ashley being our considerate leader, got the team together so I can take a group picture for my blog....Awww...so thoughtful of him :)

Stopping along Pengkalan Balak

From left : R57, John, Ashley, Wolf & JC
I like the fact that they jokingly said that this picture can represent them in Krabi, Phuket, etc!! Afterall, a beach is a beach, right? Right! So, if you see a similar picture somewhere else....heeeey....you know where you saw it first! HERE, of course!
We rode to Port Dickson Yacht Club for lunch as JC was a member. We got to know one another better during lunch and I learned a thing or two on life as a pilot and a cargo captain. Interesting and shocking things! But I truly enjoyed the openness they shared although this was only our first outing with them. Regular rides with them will be tough as the cargo captain is at sea 4 months in a row while the pilot's schedule is slated on need be basis....so...will look forward to the next invite, then.
We did have a funny bone to pick the entire journey on a particular rider, but out of respect for our new biker friend I promised Rocker57 I will not bring up the subject. Rocker57 knows I'll shoot my brains out for keeping this funny story out but then....A promise is a promise. 
I may not ride again for some time (unless otherwise invited by Rocker57 or unless his biking friends has new places to eat, then I get 'invited') but I shall share with you my Hari Raya (EID) "Jalan Jalan Cari Makan" (literally "walk walk find food) trip with my family.
So you biking friends out there....get Rocker57 to 'invite' me ya on your rides...so I can blog about it :)     Thanks in advance... (sounding desperate....get it??)  LMAO!!!   Pssst....FYI, don't think Rocker57 knows what LMAO is....HEHEHHEHE....some things are best to remain a secret. 
Until I Vrrrooooom again....Stay happy and have fun!!

 

2 comments:

Conmeister said...

Sounded like a fun trip and that beef noodle soup looks incredibly yummy! Here in Auckland, I have to try to make my own version of Ngau Lan Fun Sban style cos that's still one of my favourite meal.

Unknown said...

Conmeister, you must be a good cook to be able to cook the Sban Style Ngau Lam Fun. Kudos!