Wednesday, October 24, 2012

What it takes to ride ????



Are you a first time superbike rider? Pillion rider I mean, like me?!? Well, here are some things you need to know and have. Firstly, it is not cheap even to be a pillion, so be prepared! Secondly, best to scout around thoroughly before 'investing' in what you really need or else you'll end up buying identical items to replace the ones you have bought wrongly - costly affair, mind you. Unless, of course if you are rich then it's a different ball game altogether :)   I am merely sharing info on an amateur pillion rider's point of view, so please do not quote me, ya! TQ!


1.  HELMET - this is OBVIOUSLY a MUST HAVE! At high speed, this is COMPULSORY!! Else, our heads would be smashed like a crushed watermelon! Ewww.... gross!! Most importantly, make sure it fits your head - they come in sizes, you know. Mine is M. (ahem, just in case you plan to buy me one as a present, who knows...hehehehee). Aside from that, the padding must be ample and should not "crush" your skull. I realised that although Arai helmets are more air-tight as opposed to Nolan, it doesn't suit me. After testing for 10mins, I felt my head throbbing!!! So, please try on the helmet for awhile before buying one. Having said that, it does not mean Arai helmets are not good. It fits Rocker57 just fine but not me. 

From the many shopping trips I've gone with Rocker57, here are some info on helmets : (based on what I've seen, obviously there are more in the market)

Helmet Brands : Arai / Shoei / Nolan / X-lite (also from Nolan) / Schuberth / Calbert / HJC (manufactures helmets exclusively & has production plants in Korea, Vietnam & China, think it is an American company) & AGV just to name a few. Not forgetting Malaysian owned but made in Taiwan brand SOL. As far as I know, almost all are from Italy except Schuberth is from Germany and of course HJC.
Prices : RM300 + (SOL) to RM4-5,000 depending on brand and quality. Yup, it ain't cheap, you have been fore-warned! "told ya!" My simple Nolan set me back RM1,000.
Types : Full face ~~ all motoGP/SBK riders use this as it protects the chin as well.
            Open face ~~ akin to mine but I have the extra piece to protect my chin too - removable piece which I don't intend to remove it at all!
            Half face ~~ like those german helmets you see in the movies. Harley Davidson bikers seems to like this type of helmets...more airy plus HD's are cruiser bikes so the impact isn't so great as superbikes.
            Flipped up & Motorcross ~~ unlike the former 3 helmets where you lift the visors only, these helmets lift a portion of the movable helmet parts as well as the visor. Aiyahhh...google for pictures, OK?

My 2nd mesh jacket from AlpineStar.

2.  JACKETS : It is imperative you own one. If you can take the heat, need added protection & can afford it, then buy a full leather jacket. Mind you, its HEAVY!! (picture below). If not, buy the mesh material like mine. Still has protection but not as well as the leather material.

Rocker57's birthday present from me this year, proliferated leather jacket
Jacket brands : Alpinestar (my favourite, for no apparent reason really, perhaps, its the brand name itselfThen there is Dainese (pronounced as Die-Nay-seh) / Rev 'it / Spyke / TaiChi and Komine (pronounced as Kor-mee-Knee) just to name a few. The latter two are Japanese brand while Alpinestar, Dainese & Spyke are Italian made, Rev' it is made in EU. 

Price : ranges from RM500 - RM20,000++ for full leather racing suit!! Mine cost me SGD400. 
Type : Mesh (like mine) is made from 100% polyester material 
           Proliferated leather i.e. there are holes (for ventilation). Rocker57's jacket retailed at RM1,890
           Full leather from RM2,000+ and above.

To enhance jacket's safety, do make sure you have this :

  
 No!!! its not an armour. Duh!! Its a back protector. All jackets have this rubbery thingy (Pix's left) when you buy one. Suggest you remove the rubbery tough foam and buy one on the right. This hard piece helps protect your back in case you should fall. This original piece cost about RM200. Us ladies...well there is the 'chest protector' ...two pieces for RM120 from Alpinestar. I'm getting mine after my Krabi trip as I need to bring my jacket to see if it fits.

3.  PANTS : Similar to the jackets. They are like husband & wife or Tom & Jerry or Samson & Delilah...so the makers will make them to match, obviously! But there is also one that makes denim-like material but has bullet-proof benefits (or so I was told) named KEVLAR. Hmmm...bullet proof for what? Riding a bike? Anyways...its always better to be safe than sorry. For people like me...well, tailor-made it is unless kid's size can fit me :)

my new Dainese waterproof boots
4FOOTWEAR : DON'T scrimp on these. A MUST do. To protect your feet, ankle & occasionally the shin, just like my new waterproof boots. My other pair is ankle boots but not waterproof. Notice the shiny front part of the boots? It's made hard to protect the toes! The ankles, heels and shins are also made from hardy material. Sole purpose - protection. It looks tough and uncomfortable but in reality, it is oh so comfy yet has all the protection one needs.
Boots brands : Alpinestar, Dainese, Forma, TCX, Puma, Rev'it, TaiChi, Komine, etc.
Price : RM500 and above. My boots were retailing at RM1,030 but due to drop in FOREX (foreign exchange), it was priced at about RM900.

Types : sneaker - short boots - boots. Materials ranging from canvas to leather to GORE-TEX. 
My latest addition- Alpine Star gloves in white.

5. GLOVES : This too has to hardy to protect your fingers, palm and wrist should you fall. 
    Glove Brands : similar to jackets & pants. Well...if you have the husband and the wife...of course they must have babies, right? So, out comes the gloves.
    Price : RM200 + and above for a good pair

    Types : leather mostly but there are other materials incorporated to make them tough.



 Just look at the types of gloves...and all these are just part of Rocker57's collection!! I think his collection of gloves to match his jackets are more than my bags collection!!! MEN!!

That's it? You are now fully protected, right? Not really! How about your knees? That is if you have a pair of boots to protect the shin, you will still need to protect your knees!

Rocker57's Foxx knee & shin guard

Yours truly's Knox knee pads
  6.   KNEE & SHIN GUARD PADS : Well, it clearly describes what it does, so no need further explanation. 
        Brands : Alpinestar, Dainese, TaiChi, Komine, Knox, Foxx, etc.
        Price :   RM200 & above. My comfy Knox cost RM250 after some discount.
        Types : various variants and different types of materials.

Do be fore-warned, there are lots of fake stuff at a fraction or half the price of the original. I would advise you to play it smart and buy original gears. It may be pricey but safety measures have been placed to ensure its safety so that it as an "insurance for YOUR protection". So, don't scrimp or you will be "penny wise, pound foolish". Afterall, its YOUR life at stake, so why compromise?

Till I ride again...which is like tomorrow before dawn.... I hope you have all these gears before embarking on any outing. Like I said earlier " Better to be safe than sorry".

Ride safe, ride happy... & ride on!!! 

See ya soon! 

  

 
 

3 comments:

sam said...

hmmm now i have a reason to get another pair of gloves...still not as many as richie's

Unknown said...

Sam ~ U don't need a reason to buy anything! Just DO IT! See you tmro!! Ride safe. Sawadeeka!!

cheekylaine said...

basikal put tak tau ride - superbike????

thanks for sharing. interesting indeed.