Monday, December 3, 2012

What I learned from my parents??

That's me!!! Ain't I cute??

Strangely, it has been running through my head the past few days what I'd learned from my parents. I would want to pen it down lest I forget since my memory is slipping me by bit by bit, day on day.

What I cherish from my parents:
Mom & Dad during engagement...I think!
  •  When love is true....We hang on. They have been through thick and thin. They argue, they patched up and love like they say 'conquers all'. They took care of each other until their final days. They were married for 46 years until my dad's passing in 2007. I look forward to the same with Rocker57, thankfully, we are already heading the right path...the love part, duh!
  • They complemented each other. Each with their own strengths and weaknesses. Dad was quiet, mom was 'noticeable'..am very much like the latter :)  So obvious, isn't it? Dad loves us by giving us extra pocket money. Mom loves us by nagging!!!  Awww... Com'on...don't all moms nag!! Now, now...tell the truth...We, the female species were engineered to NAG, NAG, NAG. Hehehehe....
  • They were industrious and did what they could to put food on the table. My siblings and I are thankful for all their hard work, perseverance, and determination to give their best to their family. This too, I put into practice at a young age. 
What I cherish from mom :
Mom, before she got married
  •  She taught me how to cook. I did not learn to cook until 5 years after I was married and with 2 kids in tow! Thanks to Rocker57, I passed my exams to cook for friends and extended family after 2 years of trials and tribulation in cooking. My mom was a good cook and am glad I have most of her recipes. (all inside my head and gradually forgetting as I have stopped cooking after I semi-retired 5 years ago). Hmmm...must pick up cooking again when I get back into my 'cooking mood'. Hmmm...when will that come around??? *scratching head and wondering...* Frankly, I think it is LAZINESS and not the so called 'cooking mood' that I'd just coined! Hahahahaa...
  • My strong independence comes from her. She was a dynamic lady. On an average day, she can cook for a dozen people each meal, drives a school bus, washes the clothes by hand, cleans the house, manages the household accounts, etc. She also sewed and was my hairdresser until my late teens!! She used to say 'if not for my limited education, I could have been someone great'. I believed her. She was top 2 in her class for 6 years. Her years in actions cemented my deep belief in her. She is very capable.
  • She was a mini 'hippie'. She allowed me freedom of speech and to explore/see things. Her only advise to me during my 'partying days' were..."Go, have fun. Just don't come home with an extra in your tummy'. I never did. I partied like there is no tomorrow but stopped after 3 years. The party scene has become a bore to me. I seek new challenges, constantly :)
  • She loves to travel. I obviously caught the 'bug' from her.
  • She loves to help. I also got that from her.
  • She loved to correct people's mistake. Unfortunately, I also have that 'itching' habit from her that annoys my family! I have learnt to hold my tongue not to correct someone's grammar, ahem....still learning. So, should I try to correct yours, just tell me to my face, "Thank you, Ms Corrector" and I will gladly shut the #$%* up!   
What I cherish from dad :
My awesome dad. Instagram back in the 60's COOL, eh?
  • He taught me how to drive, stick gear, mind you! He said "to have better feel and senses..take off your shoes". Mom said " she is a girl, unsightly to drive without shoes and it will make her feet dirty!". Mom won the argument, of course! Glad I did not heed my dad's advise!!! But so glad he was my driving instructor...he was a patient man and he allows me to speed :)   Father's pet!
  • He said "go take a motorbike license". Mom said "she is a girl, don't you want her to drive instead of ride?" Mom won again. This time, I think I should have taken the B2 license. Then, I could at least ride on a tracker bike or Kawasaki minisport and trail Rocker57....hmmm....wonder how far the gap would be?
  • Dad taught me to be punctual. He said "it's better to be early, in the event of any unforeseen circumstances". I am so grateful that I practiced what he taught me. All my friends & clients are pleasantly surprised at my punctuality as Malaysians are renowned for their tardiness. I am a refreshing change :)  Yooohooo!!
  • Besides loving my mom, his other love life is mahjong!! He adores the game and would spend hours playing it after sending off the students (He is a school bus driver, you see...not a teacher like you were thinking...hehehehe...). BUT!!! But he never taught me how to gamble. Good on you dad! It was Rocker57 who taught me the game a couple of years after I married him. Lucky, never got addicted and still lousy at the game. Rocker57 calls me 'sui yee' aka turtle/water fish. That means I am a lousy player!!!
  • I learned to change the tyres from my dad. He said "girl or no girl, you need to know how to change a puncture in the event you are stuck on a deserted road". Mom stayed mum this time around! Hehhehehe...good on you, dad! Lucky for my mentor, I managed to change my punctured tyres on few occasions. If not for him, I would have been stranded for hours waiting for help to arrive. Back then, no handphone...OK??!!?
  • Patience is virtue. That, I excel and thanks to my dad for instilling it in me. In my course of work, I managed to build relationships as I patiently waited for them to open their doors to welcome me. My record is getting to see a client after 2hr 15mins of waiting!!! Say, how many would do that??? Also, repeatedly going to see a client who refused to see me (reasons only known to her) until my 6th attempt. We subsequently became friends and she lauded me for my persistency and patience. Now, as I grow older, it is eluding me a tad...probably due to menopause?!?!?! Hmmmm....hey, am talking about my patience level, duh not the memory!
  • He was an honest man. Well...like they say "the apple doesn't fall far from the tree". Need I say more??? 
  • These, I shall treasure and cherish till the day I die. Should I forget them, I can always refer to my blog to keep me grounded & checked. Thanks for reading and hope you enjoyed it as much as I enjoyed writing it. Till we 'meet' again...hope you too can recall what you have learned from your parents just as I did. And perhaps would like to drop me a line or two. Till then...byeee......   

No comments: