Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Quinn Beef Noodle & Seremban Siew Pow, 21 July 2012

By 8am, Rocker57 and I were out of the door heading for Seremban (approx 70km from USJ where we live). Two key objectives for this trip : 
  • to visit my 88yr old mom-in-law (our bi-weekly routine, sometimes thrice in 2 months.)
  • to take pictures of 'Yau Yee Mai Fun' (cuttle fish vermicelli) the restaurant i.e. Mee Sek where the food is served. (Note :  In that particular blog, I'd not uploaded any photos.  I'd promised to upload the pictures as soon as I got hold of them.) Do refer to  Sotong Mee Hoon & Tg Sepat
  • We planned to drop by Mee Sek, snap a couple of pictures & then proceed to Choy Kee in Jalan Rahang for their delicious "loong char siew" (literally translated as burned BBQ meat). The Chinese BBQ meat is similar to Kebab but only more moist & sweeter in taste. It is pork meat in most cases. Normally, it is served with a dark yet lightly sweetened sauce to complement the meat. As for the "Loong Char Siew", well...that would be a story left to be told on my next blog :)

When we reached Mee Sek, we decided to eat our breakfast there instead as there were only a handful of people there. Janet, the proprietress was elated & willingly posed for me when I told her I'm blogging on her food. Pictures taken & posted immediately after I reached home. To know more, follow the blog post mentioned above.

After visiting my MIL, we headed to do some shopping. Shopping you say? Yes! Bikers can shop too you know, provided if you have installed panniers heheheee.... GOTCHA!! It was only 11.30am but we decided to do early lunch as we just have to have Seremban beef noodle. The one that we particularly like i.e. King's Beef noodle is closed for good. To know more, see Seremban Kings Beef Noodle


We'll settle for second best, Quinn! Sibling of the owner of Seremban King's Beef noodle. Located at Jalan Toman 6, Kemayan Square, Seremban.

The name says it all.
To get there, from PLUS highway, exit Seremban toll. If you are from KL, after the toll turn left, then turn right at second traffic light (landmark Regent Restaurant on the left & KPJ hospital on the right). Turn left on the first left turn (that is Kemayan Square). Go straight in till end of road, then turn right. At the next junction, you'll find Quinn located at the corner of the said junction. For GPS fans here is the cordinates : 

Kemayan Square

wikimapia.org/8956353/Kemayan-Square - Translate this pageShare
Kemayan Square. World / Malaysia / Negeri Sembilan / Seremban Coordinates: 2°43'8"N 101°55'23"E 

For me, I am still very much an in-built 'mental' GPS! Anyways, we ordered two of each, our favourite "Ngow kon fun" (literally dry liver meat noodle) & a glass of hot tea each not forgetting a bowl of beef ball soup.

How it looks before mixing
 While I was taking the photo for my blog, Rocker57 was already tucking into his! But he was kind enough to remind me to also show one that has been mixed, so here goes :



The noodle used differs from those in Klang Valley. It is similar to the texture of noodles found in Penang Laksa. The gravy is dark & starchy. Garnished with peanuts, sliced fermented vegetable, Chinese parsley and topped with a sprinkle of spring onions and of course not forgetting my favourite beef tenderloin. Simple yet yummylicious. Perhaps, to others it would be an acquired taste but for the locals, this is the kind of staple Serembanites grew up with. The beef balls were meaty, springy & beefy! The soup is light with a slight tinge of beef broth. If you like beef innards, you can order that too.

During lunch, Rocker57 received a call from his colleague that they wanted to buy Seremban's famous Siew Pow (literally translated it would meant burnt dumpling!). But in reality it is baked dumpling with BBQ Char Siew, green peas, shallots & etc as fillings. So, back to where to get the best Siew Pow... We met them at Regent Restaurant & soon guided them to Rasah New Village. Eh? Rasah New Village? Isn't the Siew Pow shop just along the highway??? hmmmm...well, Yes & No. The one prominently seen along the PLUS highway (if from KL; on the right just before Seremban exit) is Empayar Seremban Siew Pow and of course many more stalls here and there even in Klang Valley. But in my personal opinion and my late father in law, the one that is best is still : ta-daaaaa


My humble opinion...best Siew Pow in Seremban is here!!
The dumpling skin is much thinner and has more fillings. Mind you, my late father-in-law can tell the difference just by tasting it on the initial bite! Likewise, the Hakka mee ( tell you more next time), he can know from which stall the Hakka Mee is from! Now, Tasti East and Kek Mei Siew Pow apparently are siblings (from feedback & hearsay), they split after the demise of their mother (matriarch that started the Seremban Siew Pow craze). The latter's dumpling skin is thicker and has lesser fillings. I personally feel that Tasti East Siew Pow is value for money while Kek Mei Siew Pow is more on consuming flour due to the thickness of the skin. I've recommended many to buy from Tasti East & many concur with my choice after they themselves have eaten numerous siew pows.





Apart from chicken and pork siew pow, they also sell various Chinese delicacies example kaya puffs, portugese tarts & many many more. After taking some photos for my blog, we showed Rocker57's colleagues the way to Port Dickson while we headed home.

Eh! Eh! You must be thinking I'd forgotten the direction to Tasti East....hehehe....I DID not! Well, easiest access is via PLUS (for tourists), from KL please take the Port Dickson exit. Turn left at the traffic light after exiting the toll. Do not go up the ramp but take the slip road just alongside the ramp. Follow the traffic flow until you arrive at a round about. At the round about, take a 11 o'clock turn, Tasti East is a corner shop clearly visible at the roundabout. You can't missed it! The HUGE signboard is a clear giveaway. As for GPS fans...well, sometimes...it is good to rely on your brain matter. Moreover, I think my direction given is simple and clear. No? Then leave me a comment, I'll respond to you :))

Till my next eating expedition....stay happy and carry on reading my blog ya. Thanks for your support! Afterall, you have nothing to loose but get good info on where to eat :))


Vrroooom vrooom power!!!

No comments: