Friday, September 2, 2011

PENANG & CAMERON HIGHLANDS (PART 4)

Up and about early in the morning. At 6am, breakfast wasn't ready to be served, but the hotel staff gave us bread, coffee & cereals. As we were ready to leave, the mee goreng was served. We had a small serving (shared), it was tasty. Unfortunately, we were already stuffed with bread, jam & butter.
We took an 'uncharted route' home. We heard that a lot of bikers used this trek that leads to Raub, Pahang. Head towards Tanah Rata then turn left at the Shell petrol station. And you are off to a long and quiet road towards Kpg Kolok ( I think). This stretch is very secluded, long and scarily lonely. It is half hour or so before one can see any vehicle...sort of reminded me of my drive from Davenport to Bicheno in Tasmania earlier this year. I like the ride, so quiet you can hear yourself think. It was secondary jungle/rain forest all the way. And then, all of a sudden...I saw this :
Awesome....clouds beneath me
To stand there to witness it..priceless
 It was surreal to witness this awesome panoramic view. Never thought I could sight something so beautiful here in Peninsular Malaysia. We stopped for a while to soak in the sight, the fresh air and the dead silence of the place except for the insects' noises. It was enchanting! Despite the long, scary & lonely ride, this site makes the entire trip worth every Ringgit! 
And then, we continued the journey. It seems to me like we'll not see civilization for a long time yet...it was almost an hour of ride and all of a sudden....I see palm trees...ahhh!! YAAAAY!!! Alas, it was a short lived YAY!...Another 20mins of ride alongside oil palm plantation before we reach a kampong/village!! Phew! My heart started to beat again, finally!! All along the long stretch, I could only pray that ZacBoy doesn't get a nail or fail on us, else....
And then....OMG, another 26km to Raub!!(If I remember correctly) Boy, makes one wonder, "hey, when can I really, really reach home?". We stopped at the famous curry fish head restaurant in Raub for our 2nd breakfast. We had 2 plain roti canai and two black coffee. 
Raub brings back special memories to Rocker57 and I. Rocker57 was to have been transferred here end of 1984. It was also a decision for us to get 'hitched' so that we can live legitimately as hubby & wife (back in those days, tongues will wag if couples lived together without being married). So, Raub sealed our fate...and the rest they say is history.....
Incidentally, if you must know (for I know....curiosity kills the cat...now, don't go on a suicide act, please don't!!....) I will tell you, I will tell you and bare all....After we got registered, we weren't transferred. There was a resignation and Rocker7 was asked to remain status quo in Seremban! Now, that resignation saved our day and changed the course of our history. Or else...perhaps, I would have made Raub my home....who knows....who knows.....NAH!!! I don't think sooooo.....ehhehehehhe...                                 

No comments: