Thursday, October 17, 2013

KOH SAMUI (DAY2), 8 Aug 2013

It's been awhile since I last wrote. Somehow the writing spirit just seems to elude me each time I tried to write. I hope I'll be able to accomplish my feat today. My apologies to my readers for my tardiness from the follow up to Koh Samui Day1..

At 9am on Day 2, we walked along the stretch of streets just outside our hotel, Marina Beach Resort. The room was huge with basic amenities like shampoo, conditioner & two bottles of mineral water, hot shower and air-conditioned room. At RM128 per night, we are happy with what we got. FYI, entire 5D/4N biking trip was organised by our fellow biker; Ryan and his partner Shirley - Thank you!

Marina Beach Resort
124/169 Moo3 Maret
Lamai
Samui
Tel : +66891041114


Blogger and Rocker57
The beach behind our resort. Awesome soft sandy white beach.

The Reception of Marina Beach Resort



None of the eateries were opened as most people were out partying until wee hours of the morning. So, I took the opportunity to snap some weird names that lined the streets. Here you go :




Ta-da!!! Condom bar, anyone?


What a strange name for a pharmacy. Are the customers suppose to smile when they buy their meds? Hmmmm...


It may look half dead in the morning but at night, the waiters work relentlessly & diligently to get you to walk into their restaurant for a bite.

Nothing so 'live' about it, no show; just food. 



Game for Russian food, anyone? 
 Hehehe...this one, you will have to see for yourself how professional it is when you are there. I won't want to spill the beans.
Toe Knees, seriously?
Except for this one next to our hotel all the eateries were closed! Strange name - Will Wait Restaurant! And yes, we did wait as we were the first few early birds, Rocker57, Sam and myself.



Will Wait Restaurant also serves as a hotel or vice-versa...oh.. whatever!
 My 200baht English breakfast set - consists of  juice, coffee, croissant and a plate of bacon, poached eggs (you can have your egg selection. My choice was too sour because the chef added too much of vinegar when poaching it! Ewww!!), sauteed button mushroom in olive oil and garlic and lightly seared tomato. Let's just say I have eaten better. 

But the croissant was excellent!
Sam (in white) and Rocker57 seated at WW


While Sam and Rocker57 waited for food to be served, I went to video- tape beautiful birds singing. The cages were just across the road where Rocker57 and I were seated.

Unfortunately, I am unable to upload the video here for some reason. Perhaps due to incompatibility. Sigh!!

After breakfast, off we went on our rented scooters for sight seeing. Rocker57 was my pillion second time around. Hehehehe..

The bike I wanted so much to ride ...but alas, it was not to be. It was just too high for me. Biker friend Alex (red sneakers) got to ride it instead :(




Below, the bike that I could really ride...Please note that the stand is not on the ground and how I had to tip-toe just to ride it. The feeling? Awesome! To be able to ride again after over 3 decades, it is a wonderful feeling. And I had back-up. Rocker57 was my manual brake system just in case I couldn't stop in time. LOL!!!

FYI - the bikers later said I passed with flying colors despite having to undergo hills and slopes, corners and traffic lights....hehehe... All those brown nosers!!! Awww...actually, they are nice guys.

We visited the Harley-Davidson shop. Bought a belt buckle and 2 T-shirts as souvenirs.



Later, the rest of the team caught up with Sam and us at the H-D shop.We then headed to this quaint place for lunch.

I couldn't get the name of the restaurant. It was not in Lamai beach but at Chaweng Beach. A short ride from H-D shop.

Cozy little shack facing the sea. 


 Map of Koh Samui as reference.







This eatery uses old vinyl record covers as menu.


After lunch, we rode around town, had drinks at Starbucks then headed to the mountains to view Koh Samui from up above. Below : our drinks & dessert at Starbucks in Chaweng.


Then, up we rode (follow the signage for the Elephant ride) to reach The Blue Stars Mountain Restaurant at the peak.


View from the peak.

The gang - (L) : Ryan, Shirley, Sam, Alex, Rocker57 and Francis

The menu - Live like you mean it!

The eco-friendly washroom. You'll see tree branch jutting out blending with the toilets.
                                          Eco-friendly toilet built around a big boulder .


Must stop for group photography. Aptly named THE CLIFF. It is along the ride from Chaweng to Lamai beach. But my photo don't do justice to the beautiful beach below.


Rocker57 and I later strolled the Lamai beach. Much later, the group combed the street for dinner. The food at the restaurant we had dinner was awful, so I shall not bother to write about it. But we did try out their street food. Check it out.








We ended up at Cozy corner again for our coffee and ate our pancakes there. Ryan and Shirley had their famous beef burger for the second time in two nights. We chit chatted until about 1am Malaysian time before calling it a night.

Incidentally, the pancakes were delicious. The stall is situated just outside Mc Donald's. 

Join me again on our 3rd leg. Onwards to Songkhla tomorrow. Let's hope my writing inspiration streak continues...i.e.

Until then....









4 comments:

Pa Alisya said...

Yes! Go Go Go Superbiker48.

Unknown said...

Yes Pa Alisya...Vroom vroom!!! TQ for support.

Philo Yan said...

I like this write up. Interesting pics and commentary. Well done!

Unknown said...

Philo Yan - Thank you!