Wednesday, September 5, 2012

I want my old bank(s) baaaack!!!!

Piggy Bank : Happy Pink piggy bank isolated on white
Photo credits : 123rf.com
I started saving when I was young, encouraged by my parents. If I remember correctly, my first 'piggy bank' was some nicely painted porcelain cockerel bought from the local wet market. To get to the money, one would have to smash the piggy bank into pieces. So, I had to know when to drop the coins in or to save aside for some 'rainy day' else, it would take a long time before I get to see those coins again. Dollars were hard to come by then. Those days for 10 cents, I could buy me a bowl of noodles and two sweets in school. Back then, we used the term Dollars and Cents for the Malaysian currency until 1975 when the Malaysian currency act changed it to Ringgit and Sen. Until I changed my profession to real estate 4.5 years ago only did I begin to change my terminology to Ringgit and Sen. I was always confusing my potential foreign buyers & tenants with the USD!!! Serious! Well, old habits certainly die hard or you can say can't teach old dogs new tricks....whatever! As long as you are happy, I am happy { taken from Rocker57's message to me}

When I got wiser, I used hair pins to dig out some coins out of desperation or for my spending spree. YAY!!! Obviously, these dug-outs were done discretely. But sometimes, the 'cling clang' of it often give me away.....sigh.....But, I got smarter. I wrapped the towel around the piggy bank to 'soften' the effect! Hehheehe.... bet you did the same, didn't you? Com' on admit it, ya!

When I got married, we did all our banking needs with a multinational bank. I adore the bank and I will tell you why. And also share why I want my old bank baaaack!!! As I blog this, FYI, am still banking with them but the adoring part is now 'just another bank'...sadly.

PERSONALISED ATTENTION~~~
The bankers addressed us by our names! Over time, our relationship developed into friendship. Until today, my personal banker back then (he has since moved on to another bank) still remembers our account number! Can you beat that?? NOW : I am just another serial number punched out from the machine! After 10 years in Subang, I do not know any staff in the Taipan branch! And I can bet, none of them know we exist until and unless I go to the bank personally. Even then, they will just serve me just like how they serve others, no personal touch. Back then I knew almost half the bank staffs in Seremban and vice versa!! 

Fast forward to present banking situation : to ensure you get personalised privilege services & facilities, one needs to register as their privilege member with minimum account balance of RM150K or RM200K at any one time (can't recall exact amount). If the amount falls short, the bank charges RM150 as service fee!!! Com' on....I have better use with my RM150 then give it to the bank just because I have overdrawn a bit from the agreed amount. Who knows, maybe the rich may in the future get the walk of fame tile in the bank like those in Hollywood!! A token of appreciation from the bank for having the rich bank with them???

On special occasions, the bankers will save 'angpows' & calendars specially for us as we were regular customers. NOW : I have to 'beg' or wait in a long Q just to get some. I missed the personalised attention & the bonding I once had with my bank which is sadly missing in ALL the banks due to ICT :((

After initial automation, banks used to have coins machine to count the piggy bank savings. As a kid, I loved the sound of coins clinging and clanging and then wait impatiently for the teller to tell me how much I have saved. Now, the bank changes for depositing coins!!! What the....????

SPECIFIC JOB SCOPE ~~

Those days, bankers have specific job scope, NOW : everyone multitasks! A certain mortgage banker friend of mine called me recently to asked if I needed extra credit card. His bank has asked that of them now! Hey, where is the focus??? No wonder there are lesser jobs available now as everyone everywhere is multitasking...STRESS, STRESS, STRESS.

AUTOMATED TELLER MACHINE ~~
Although I was skeptical about this and still am, the ATM has served its needs well over the past two decades or so. But little has change over the years except now we have cash & cheque deposit machines. I particularly like the special cheque deposit machine in Citibank. I like that it doesn't require me to key in any details like other banks' machines. All I need to do is to insert the cheque and VIOLA...cheque is scanned and data captured. Super efficient and effective. This is a plus point but I still miss interacting and talking to bankers instead of machine!!!

INTERNET/TELEBANKING ~~
This to some is god send as it is so convenient and easy. Although I do use both services but am still skeptical and not trusting these giant computers. Have heard many unsolicited transaction carried out, I  personally encountered an incident recently which was quickly resolved following my persistence to resolve matters ASAP.  Within 5 days, money credited into my account and they apologised.

I hate for the fact that I speak to machine instead of people! And when the people do answer, this particular multinational bank that I still bank with....the telemarketers, more often then not are Filipinos!!! I have nothing against them but their heavy accents and the over rolling of some words can send my nerves to @#%& and back. Arrrrgh...can't we get locals to do the job????

I laud these change as I can save on fuel & time as well as do my banking needs anytime, anywhere but the lack of human personal touch, interaction and socialization is making more and more people becoming loners. People in general nowadays do not seem to need companion, just a smartphone/iPad/iPod would suffice.....aaaahhhh...what are we becoming????

I want my old bank(s) back!!! But after reality check, I must admit the current banking services & facilities has moved on for the better but the part of personal touch is severely lacking. If only we can turn back the clock....oh...I do missed those days when things were much simpler, laid back and people TALK!

Come share what you concur/ missed about your banking days, drop me a line or two...

2 comments:

Philo Yan said...

I agree with your views about the banks of the past and the present but one bank has not changed for me. It is still as cold as their blue signage more than 30 years ago. When I walk through their front doors, all I get is icy stares that can rival my Ice Queen and total indifference. No greeting or even a hint of a smile.

An unwanted experience with another bank. I was kept waiting for more than 15 minutes before the staff came to let me out from their safe depository room and when the staff finally showed up, she did not even offer a word of apology. Hey, My time is money, too!

I went to a 3rd bank and their corporate color is red. The staff exuded warmth, friendly service and able to transact my request with minimum fuss and time.

Guess which bank is keeping most of my money now?

Unknown said...

Philo Yan ~~ hehehe...I know, I know. Good choice as long as you are happy, I am happy :))