Friday, April 6, 2012

Olivia Newton John Concert - 29 Mar 2012

Attended Olivia Newton John's (ONJ) concert at the Arena of Stars, Genting Highlands on 29 Mar 2012.
Was looking forward to the event as always, it was good to see these legends LIVE!!
Most of the time, Arena of Stars starts promptly. However, this time it was delayed some 15-20mins late. When the lights dimmed, the opening act was by a singer named Farhan - don't know who she is. After 3 songs she made room for ONJ.  *clap clap clap*
Lo and behold, it was not to be! The lights were switched on! And then suddenly there was a mad rush for better seats by those who had bought cheaper seats, they were vying for vacant premium seats! I found it disgusting and ill organised. How can this be happening!!
Worse yet...we were made to wait some 20-25mins before ONJ came on. By then, the concert has lost its 'ooomph'! In between that, the techs came in to set the stage. OMG!!! International star but such poor organizing skills! 
Frankly, I was not happy with the entire bland set up. Mind you, the tickets weren't cheap and I felt cheated! There wasn't any backdrop and the entire set up looks like it was simply put into place without much thought, that's my personal opinion OK? Though I know many of her die-hard fans will disagree. Either that or I've set too high expectations. After more than a dozen live concerts, somehow, our expectations gets higher and higher.
The first 3 renditions, ONJ's voice was weak and pitchy. After that, I think she was more at ease and the songs got better. However, it seems to me still lacking in 'power'. To make matters worse, the PA system sucks and lacks the impact to create an awe & boom-boom feeling. Normally, I get goose-bumps when I attend concerts, sadly...this time around, I think they left for their vacation!
There were no dancers. ONJ's back-up singers acted as both dancers and duets. What a disappointment! Also, she wore slippers/sandals!!! Her entire wardrobe was merely a change of 2 jackets and a shawl. I felt a huge let down when I saw her in sandals. Perhaps, that led me to have negative opinion of the entire show.
The biggest insult was when she 'taught' her educated and affluent audience how to sing Country Road (sung by the late John Denver). Com'on...what the..... And then she went into a 70's & 80's medley but stops after each song?!?!?! Errr....shouldn't medley be continuous or overlapping sometimes? 

3 couples attended the concerts (rocker's brothers & spouses) and half agreed that the show was below par. I for one, being the vocal one had to hold my tongue as there were others who didn't share my thoughts. But I did admit it was a let down for me. I had to, or else its not ME!!!
Over the years I've learned...less is more! Like Rocker57 always reminds me "you win the battle but you lost the war". So I leave it to me myself to blog my views and let the ONJ fans to think otherwise. Afterall, to each his/her own. And I will honestly own up that ONJ's concert was a huge let down. It appears to me like everything was put up in haste for some fast bucks!
If u should notice, I didn't even bother to zoom-in to take the pix. Moodless!
Come to think of it...why all negative and nothing positive, right? Am I being unfair to her? 

Well, for one, she does look good for 63! But not sure if its plastic surgery/botox at work....oops, better stop! *less is more, less is more*

No comments: