Thursday, January 5, 2012

First day of School

Yesterday was the first day of school/kindy for many school going children in Malaysia. 

My daughter asked me a day before school reopened how she fared on her first day of school. I recalled that she was overwhelmed by the large number of children in her kindergarten I'd enrolled her in Johor Bahru. She was quiet, shy but she did not cry. However, she kept looking out for me for reassurance that everything will be alright. For reassurance, I took a few days off just to ensure that all is well before starting work in a brand new year. Afterall, it's my firstborn embarking on her new journey in life. A few days off is worth every penny. I must say that she has done well academically and is now gainfully employed, for the time being, with the Ministry of Health. 
Due to Rocker57's career, we were relocated couple of times. Hence, my daughter had attended 2 kindergartens and two secondary schools. The last relocation was the hardest as she had by then spent 11 years in Seremban and was reluctant to start over again. After much persuasion, reassurance and much convincing, she finally accepted. And now, she says she's glad that we made that move.
My son on the other hand was a cute one. First day at kindergarten, Rocker57 and I left the premises after we were sure that he had settled in. We returned to check on him during his recess. He actually hid behind a tree when he saw us. After some cajoling, he came out, wave his hands and asked us to "go home, go home"!! That's one brave lad, I tell you.

He openly accepted the relocation to Subang when he was 13. My daughter shared that she was envious that her brother could easily make new friends in the new school. Guess, he does have my 'social' genes :)   He has adapted well and presently still in Uni.

Flashback to 1975, I remember having to watch over my youngest brother when he entered into kindergarten. A shy, quiet and lonely lad, he was traumatised! I had to 'attend' classes (sitting outside the class) with him for almost a month or so. He was 7 years my junior and my other younger brother was 5 years his senior. He was too young to play with us, so he was mostly left on his own. Perhaps, that's why he was traumatised with the hoo-hah and lots of noisy, rowdy kids screaming and crying. 

I recall that my brother was bitten a few times by a gusty feisty girl! Now, that girl had bitten almost all the boys in her class! She wasn't afraid of no one. Even her mom was called to the headmistress office but the saga continues. Hmmm....wonder where she is now? Mind you, her bites leave huge dental prints on the boys hands & bodies! You can imagine how hard she bites! OUCH!!

It's good to reminiscent, lest Alzheimer sets in...then I can go to my blog and recollect my past. Ahhh...a simple question, yet an enriching recollection. Am glad my databank is still running well. Great kick start to 2012!

No comments: