Tuesday, January 3, 2012

NEW YEAR RIDE : JB & MELAKA (Part 2)

Rocker collected our luggage from the concierge & we checked into our room. Eh, something isn't right! Did we enter into a wrong room or were we upgraded? The room has transformed!! I liked it immediately. 
Cozy, practical & tastefully decorated.
they even had a dressing table!
The room was cozy, warm lights, soft yet firm beds and so inviting that Rocker57 took a shower and went straight to bed!
After the siesta, we waited to be picked up by my former colleague, Winnie and her two sons for dinner.
Winnie and I do not like duck meat but I managed to convince her to try this one. Strangely, a local Johorean, she has NEVER ever heard of Duck Mee in Skudai. Of course I can understand since her favourite is "Ker Tiaw Keah" (thinly sliced kueh tiaw noodles with pig innards)....here little piggy....my Winnie BABE. I love you, gal - muaks!!
So, this manual GPS guided her to a place I've not visited in over a decade! A small wrong turn, detour and we were outside the shop in a jiffy. The GPS maybe a bit rusty but still usable! 
Add caption
Skudai Duck Mee, corner lot. A lot has changed since I last visited (the outlet, its surrounding but let me savour the food to decide if ALL else has changed).
We ordered duck meat for 5, braised groundnuts, braised intestine (dunno source of intestine, either pig or duck), vegy and braised eggs with 2 pieces of bean curd. Soups are complimentary and served hot! Let me tugged in!

Our spread at Skudai Duck Mee
Winnie was amazed that the duck meat was tender, moist and doesn't reek of the ducky smell. AHA....trip worth the trouble. Knowing she is a feisty gal that loves hot & spicy stuff, I recommended her to accompany her food with the chili sauce provided. Homemade recipe, the chili sauce is spicy, sourish, savoury and tangy all in one. It complements the dishes well. Her kids Aaron and Brandon tried and immediately got hooked!! It was a great meal and certainly a splendid get together with old friends.
Just before noon the following morning, we were in Melaka Raya waiting for Nadeje to open up. Ever the greedy one, I ordered 3 Millie crepe cakes - green tea, mocha chocolate & orange chocolate. Latte for Rocker57 and Cappuccino for myself. 
our millie crepe cakes
On second thoughts, let's do lunch as well. So, we ordered Penne Arabiatta. One each for the both of us. What a shocker I got when our pasta was served. It came with Miso soup and a small salad. Errr....odd right? Japanese soup with Italian pasta? Still baffled what made the chef come up with such combination?
Latte & Cappuccino

Pasta, Miso soup & salad
The cakes were obviously heavenly. Taste wise, me being a green tea addict obviously thinks the green tea Millie Crepe cake is supreme, followed by Mocha Chocolate and finally the orange chocolate. The orange chocolate lacks the oomph and tanginess. Also, it lacks the orangey flavour.
The Miso soup was good. Comes with a generous serving of seaweed, my favourite too. The salad was bland with too much mayonnaise & soft potatoes. I would have preferred tomato or carrot to go with Romaine lettuce to get the crunchy feel and more greens as oppose to an overdose of carbo. The Arabiatta sauce was not spicy, lacking in punch like the one served in Pizza hut. They were a tad stingy on the sauce, my Penne pasta looked dehydrated that I had to 'steal' Rocker57 sauce. But then again, I've been known to flood my food with gravy, sauces and chili sauce...so, my bad!
About to leave for Subang, and.....OI!!! OI!! who do we see. Rocker57's former colleague and our housemate in JB. What a small world indeed. In a population of about 600,000 in whole of Melaka, we meet Gan and his daughter!
A 15minutes catch up, exchange of name cards and Vrrrooom....the highways are calling!!! Vrrroooom...live to rideeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

 
 

No comments: