Thursday, May 26, 2011

What I find unique in Yangon.

There are just too many temples and pagodas to visit in Yangon alone. After visiting 3 temples (main attractions), even a devout Buddhist will scream for help!! However, the temple that attracted me most was the Shwedagon Pagoda. It stands at 366feet high with a perimeter of 1,420ft all encased in GOLD!! The main attraction isn't the gold but the 76 carat diamond that sits at the top of the pagoda! (Yeah..start calculating the cost...I knew it!!)
Simply magnificent. Felt so peaceful & blessed just being there.
Uniquely, standing at different places (specific points) in the temple, one can actually see the different shades of the diamond with the naked eye after dark! Standing at one point I saw only red, move a few inches away and the color changes hues...amazingly awesome!! Shwedagon Pagoda is said to contain relics from 3 earlier buddhas and 8 strands of Gautama Buddha's hair!! The Pagoda is believed to be over 2,500 years old (refurbished over the centuries - obviously...DUH!!).
Unique eating concepts that I and my tour group find hard to digest (both literally and realistically) The picture on the left was taken just outside a postal/IDD shop. While the one on the right was taken just outside the Myanmar embassy. Mind you, these are regular sights when you go around Yangon.
Commonly found along the streets
Miniature chairs are common sights!!
The 3rd unique thing is the flower I purchased outside the entrance to see & pay respect to the largest reclining Buddha structure in the world. I've never in my life seen a flower like this one, have you? (right) It looks to me like a small burger with anemone sitting atop the burger and protected by petals! 
Fourth is the manner medication/supplements are dispensed in pharmacies...they are sold in loose forms(blister packs!!!) Sold as if you are buying sweets!! Also, a pharmacy 'pops' up within a shopping mall just like any other cosmetic counter!! So so peculiar!
pharmacy within a shopping mall
The final uniqueness I found was the very place that Freedom Fighter Ang Sang Suu Kyi was house arrested for 15 years! Deprived of so many amenities and access (internet particularly) I would have DIED of boredom had I been house arrested (in similar conditions). Below, Ang Sang Suu Kyi's father's house where she stayed for 15 long lonely years minus her nucleus family. We weren't allowed to stay long, so I took what I could. I deeply appreciate and respect her more after what I've learned she has gone through. She's has fought for her people relentless yet in a subtle manner that is so humane. Terrorists should take some lessons from her, perhaps then we'll all have a more peaceful place to live in!!
Ang Sang Suu Kyi humble abode
Main entrance - fences made fr bamboo!!




 

No comments: