Thursday, January 6, 2011

CALLING A SPADE - A SPADE!

Last year, I started playing mahjong with my sis-in-law and her friend on several occasions. On the onset, we were cordial and mindful of our Ps and Qs. As time went on, this friend; Ms L and I kinda got along and we started to open up. We enjoyed our mahjong sessions as much as our non-stop chatting.
I think that as an Asian, I'm pretty much an open book i.e forthright/straight/candid..you name it, I'm that. Obviously not many can take on people like me as it is not our culture to be so candid and direct about things. I'm deemed to be loud/braggart/too open for those who do not know me. Naturally, I almost always stand out like a 'sore thumb'. Rocker57 used to say that my book should have some 'unwritten/blank' chapters, unfortunately for him...with my dense head, learning was slow. Through painful process from school of severe hard knocks, I've gradually learned albeit like a snail :)   Very unlike my nature not to say what's on my mind, much as I refrain myself. Over the years, its more refined/polished but the fact remains that I'm still me!! Alas..can't teach old dog new tricks, they say...but they have forgotten that this dog is a stubborn Ox in dog's clothing!!! 
Back to Ms L, at last, I've found my "pardner"!!!. We jokingly said that perhaps in our previous life, we were 'westerners' and now 'trapped' in Chinese bodies!! HAHAHAHAHAHA!! I can safely say that if I openly admit that I'm an open book, then Ms L is an open library of sorts. I respect Ms L for her honesty and I relish the fact that though she is soft spoken and petite, she laughs heartily and is not abash to share anecdotes of her life no matter how embarrassing it is. It is good if one can laugh at oneself and this lass is one unique Asian. Of course, the fact that she spent 10 years abroad, somewhat 'globalised' her thinking. 
Say what you want, I rather have a friend that can call a spade a spade then one that tells you want you want to hear. I think Asians need to open up and speak their minds but then again...who am I but a stubborn Ox in dog's clothings...
This open book is open for reading....

No comments: