Monday, September 27, 2010

PHASES OF LIFE - Childhood friendS

I've been thinking about my childhood friends recently. I had a wonderful time growing up in my mother's kampong (village) in Pedas about 15km away from Seremban. I spent most of my vacations and a lot of weekends there as my parents had to work during school vacations to make ends meet. I practically grew up there under the care and watchful eyes of my maternal grandmother. I know almost everyone in the kampong and they, me. My maternal grandfather was a well to do man and was highly respected in Pedas, I was always known as "cucu Lam Pong" i.e. Lam Pong's grandchild.
I had a group of friends I used to play with until mid secondary. There was Randy and Alex, both my uncles but of the same age with me. Back then, I despise & refuse calling them uncles as we were born practically a week apart. I was ever challenging my grandaunts and aunts why I should call them uncles!! Simply because my grandaunts gave birth the same time as my mom! No way! Ah...I was obstinate then, guess I still am; on certain issues.
Then, there was Jimmy whose parents ran a grocery shop across the road, very good looking guy & a great badminton player. And Donny whose parents ran the wet market shop. And there was Paul (a guy of few words), Richard and Hor Chim whose dad is the proprietor of a sundry shop . And a few others the names I've forgotten.
Rina, my aunt who was a year my senior, again I refuse to call her auntie! Ah Luan, whose dad runs half an apparel shop and half a rubber trading shop as is my grandfather. And then, there's Doris who's my other aunt who is same age as Rina. Also a few others I've forgotten their names.
We used to play from dawn to dusk until their parents or siblings have to search for us with canes in order for us really want to go home for dinner!! We could be anywhere, in the padi fields, some one's garden stealing their fruits, cycling/riding motorbikes around the neighborhood, swimming in the river or dam or playing games in the field or badminton court.
Later on, I will share more of the games we used to play back then. It was fun, interactive and very communicative. Ahem, that's how and where I picked up my smattering Mandarin. Thank you uncles, aunts and friends for teaching me Mandarin! Back then, I was the only one who was English educated. The older folks used to nickname me "an moh teat" or direct translation from Hokkien to English "English Straight", literally meaning " caucasians are forthright and direct! Admittedly, I am!
For now, I only know that Randy's married with two girls but living away from home to earn a living overseas. Alex's married but living a low profile life in Pedas still after his stint in the USA. Both of whom I've not meet in over 2 decades! Doris and Rina are both married but no idea number of kids and haven't seen them since Rina's mom passed on about 2 decades ago!
I sit here pondering what has become of all my childhood friends....... I have no way of getting in touch with them after all these years...hope to chance upon them in Facebook...if not, I wish all my childhood buddies all the best in their lives and hope that someday I can reconnect with them to laugh and reminiscence of our childhood days gone by.

No comments: