Friday, July 9, 2010

Helmet hunting



Just a few days before we took the bike, we went hunting for helmets. Hmmm..what to buy, which is safe, which is cheaper, what design to choose? Decisions, decisions, tough!

Arai? Shoei? Nolan? SOL?...some of the brand names of helmet that I've just made "acquaintance" over the past few months since we've decided to purchase a superbike. Full face helmets or ??? In the end, we both chose full face helmets from Nolan..Nolan Xlite X802 for rocker57 and Nolan N403 luminous orange for me! The day of the purchase, I learnt that Nolan's made in Italy, just like our superbike hero Valentino Rossi. Aww..he's so cute with his curls. Unfortunately, we could not find the one he wore so we settled for something more affordable and sleek (to me, i.e.).

Boy, do these helmets weigh a ton! Actually, its just over a kilo in weight...still, it is heavy particularly when it is your first after decades of not wearing one!! I love mine because of the 'loud' color and I simply adore the tinted shade (see pix). That way, I don't have to wear sunnies, cool eh? And guess what, I have options to bring the shades down or keep it hidden....oh, so practical.

I also learned that we need to have a thoroughly fit helmet for one's headsize, safety purposes. Or else, at high speed, your helmets will be swinging behind your neck!! Ok, kind of over exaggerating a teeny bit, but, it does makes sense to have a fitting helmet. Full face helmets make hearing kinda difficult but for safety reasons, it's acceptable. And, to my surprise...both rocker57 and my headsize are the SAME...gosh...I'd always thought his was bigger!!! Now, I know better.

The price of these helmets are shocking!!! Rocker57's helmet costs as much as a Gucci's lady wallet!!! Hmm...now I know why men's expenses can also sky rocket and burse their credit cards!! WOW, what a discovery, for me i.e.!!

With main safety and compulsory gadget in place...we are set for our maiden journey. Read more about it in the next posting..

No comments: