Thursday, July 29, 2010

Alien Sighted

Rocker57, an early riser himself was considerate enough to allow me to sleep till almost 8am, thank you kind sir! After packing, we had complimentary breakfast in Avillion Legacy, Melaka. At breakfast, we decided to return via the old trunk road. It was an uneventful trip from Melaka to Alor Gajah except for loads of traffic lights (pretty annoying if I must say so).

Turning into a small town aptly named KOTA, I saw that it hasn't changed much in 4 decades. Moving along, we reached Chengkau, birth place of my granny (maternal) and a place where my grandpa used to go hunting a couple of kilometers from there. Thereafter, we arrived at Rembau. From Kota to Rembau, I was delighted to reminiscence the old trunk roads. The locals still sell their produce (eggs, petai, rambutans, durians & dokong, etc) along the main road under shaded "pondoks'. I remember the good old days when my grandpa used to stop and buy their produce in bulks as he has a large brood, 9 kids in all and mom was the eldest.

We took a short tour of Rembau, not much has changed since. They happened to have "pasar pagi" i.e. morning market, oh...my senses went hare-wired. The scent was intoxicating yet refreshing. Intoxicating because they were cooking so many different local dishes and oh...the aroma ROCKS! (salivating as I write). Unfortunately, we didn't stop as it was getting hotter plus the road was conjested with free for all parking.

It was in Pedas, a small "kampong" that we sighted an alien, see picture (right). Don't you think I look like an alien (from Mork and Mindy)...NANOO, NANOO.
This is the kampong that I grew up, mostly during school holidays. I have many fond memories of this place. Will share more about my childhood in subsequent postings.

We stopped by Seremban to visit my mom-in-law. Now, I must take my hats off for her. At 87years of age, she was doing her own stitching and refused to get help!!! Amazing lady. She still cooks and does her own washing. I tell you, people from her era are so strong, determine and simple. More surprising is, she has not commented on her weird daughter-in-law wearing bandanna!! It is not so nice for chinese to wear bandanna as it resembles a person in mourning during a funeral wake. Didn't I tell you my mom-in-law is adorable? I did? Yeah...I did.

No comments: