Thursday, May 2, 2013

Takayama/Kyoto/Osaka : 7 April 2013

Day 4 in Japan

The Highlight of the day. My 1st Bullet train ride!!

After breakfast, we walked some 500m from Hida Hotel Plaza to Takayama Castle Town morning market. It was a refreshing change from city life, more laid back and lesser hassle of people rushing here & there. A lot of us bought some souvenirs from here not because it was cheaper but more variety compared to the other places we have visited. It was drizzling so many stalls were closed plus it was still early.

He spoke no English, but we understood each other...Yooo!


Naah.... (pix, right) it's not Hollywood walk of fame...it was the only road we came across that had wordings on it. It quickly became the walk of fame for a few of us, thanks to my ingenious idea :)

Everyone, including the locals were in thick jackets or winter clothings while I was the only soul dressed in a thin T-shirt and a thin pair of white slacks. Hah! I always knew I was born in the wrong continent, now it's proven to be true, afterall! 

We had 45mins to browse and then it was back to the coach to our next destination -  Heian Shrine. It reflects the elegance of life in ancient Japanese court. Sadly, due to 6 'heavy duty' travelling schedule today, everything is 'rush, hurry, quick'. It drizzled and rained the entire day, dampening our spirits and motivation. This was no exception...I wasn't into the 'mood' so I courteously went down to snap a few photos. It was here that I encountered my first dirty and not so nicely smelling public toilet.

Taken at the side entrance to Heian Shrine


  
Next, it's Kiyomizu Temple - UNESCO heritage site. A quaint old lane lined with shops leading up to the temple. Reminds me of the ruins of St Peter's Catheral in Macau :)  While we were on the way to Kiyomizu Temple, I sighted this and couldn't resist bumping myself to the front of the bus to click away!

 Ahhh...I missed my Rocker57. I miss our many rides. But! I certainly DO NOT miss the heat!!

Long Jam heading to Kiyomizu Temple

crowd heading to temple.
 By the time we reach the base of Kiyomizu Temple, we had 20 mins to tour the place. Karen (my sis-in-law) and I have had about enough of temple visiting and decided not to view and instead hang around to eat & while away our time.
The road leading to temple.

 Surprise, surprise!! Yes, they do have pau / chinese dumplings in Japan! We tried both the green pau (with red bean fillings) and the normal pork dumpling. The former was better albeit like all Japanese food - sweet!

Yes, its 300yen or RM10.11 for a small pau! But what the heck! When we travel, we should NOT do conversions or you'll go hungry! Errr...something is missing from my daily ritual? Thanks that you cared and remembered. Good on you! For sure, Karen and I will not missed it out...macha ice cream! And it was here we tasted the best macha ice cream! The only ice cream that had macha dust sprinkled on top of the ice cream. For the first time in my life I coughed and almost choked licking an ice cream. What? How come? The macha dust sprinkled atop the ice cream traveled into my esophagus, that's how! *cough cough, choke choke* Learning quickly from my experience, the rest of the tour group macha ice cream fans like me lick theirs cautiously.
 
 To get the best macha ice cream....check out the picture below (Tea Room). Its the first shop on the left as you walk up the road leading to the temple once the tour coaches have parked at the base of the hill.  Apart from ice creams, they also have a wide array of tea and a heater to keep their customers warm and cozy.

If you are too lazy or tired to walk, then why not try the super huge man-shouldered 2 wheeler! I don't know how to call it as it isn't a trishaw, perhaps a bishaw! 

The guy in this pix is really tall for new generation Japanese and you can see how high this bishaw is! Incidentally, the hunks that shoulder these bishaw are quite good looking. I daren't take his picture directly as I need to get his permission prior to posting his picture.


It was here in Kiyomizu temple lane, that I saw the largest collection of Samurai swords!!! I was so tempted to purchase one as souvenir for Rocker57 but the hassle of checking in and undergoing possible interrogation at the customs, with a heavy heart I walked away.

And again, I encountered my 3rd dirtiest and smelliest public toilet in Japan. Trace the reek and pretty soon you'll locate the toilet. I can't blame the local authorities as it was packed with tourists and a Sunday at that.

Following the unsightly incident, I was pleasantly pleased to see Nishijin Kimono. A 15 mins runway kimono show. Due to space contrain I will only show a few of these beautiful, exquisite, elegant and delicate traditional costume of Japan.











Next stop is Mitsui Outlet Mall, where I think Johor Premium outlet got the idea or vice versa simply because I don't know which came first...the egg or the chicken? Hehehee... It was a dismay that we had foodcourt food instead of allowing us to pay for it. Rather, we had to pay for dinner tomorrow instead. 

We all had a bowl of noodles each with no complimentary drinks. I think the tour guide expected to choke me to death because I always like to chide/reprove him. Hehehe... (so bad of me, but please....a drink shouldn't cost much now, should it?) Lucky that we had Stewart & Swee Sun to see to our needs while I sat there like a fat 'buddha' waiting for the rest to settle down with me in a table meant for 4 but 6 of us to squeeze into!

The noodle's taste is similar to our local pan mee only tastier & more flavour. But the tasty stewed pork (3 slices only) and delicious noodles tamed my easily angered soul as we had to search for our own seats in a packed mall full of hungry ardent discount shoppers! We were fortunate because one of our tour group member Catherine & Mr Pok graciously added two dishes to complement our plain lunch. Thank you Mr & Mrs Pok for the additional treat and thank you Stewart & Swee Sun for the water. My hot and angry soul is finally sated and at peace :)

Our foodcourt lunch provided by tour.

We finished this 'sotong-like' balls. Tasty!

Strange - I finish almost all my food in Japan but this was an exception.
 
At Mitsui Mall, I managed to get 2 baseball caps for my son, couple of ear rings for my daughter, a polo T & a unique uber-mini white clutch Longchamp bag for myself :)

And noooowww....the highlight of my trip to Japan. Apart from wanting to see Mt Fuji & Sakura, Bullet Train Ride remains no.2 in my list after Mt Fuji. Being a speed demon, the train ride epitomizes the devil in me! As I mentioned to Karen, the 40km ride in 14minutes was so 'bullet' fast that before I can finish singing the nursery rhyme "100 bottles hanging on the wall" I have arrived at my destination...OSAKA!

Patiently waiting for guide to bring us our tickets

Yay! My ticket. If you want to keep the stub, get it stamped before you leave the station!

If I were to drive this...it will definitely go OFF-Rail!


 
We were 'compensated' with Chinese dinner for the lack of it during lunch. Boleh tahan-lah...(translated as 'can do') but again...either too sweet or too salty.



My take out from today's hectic day :
  • Happy because I finally sat in the fastest rail machine on land & had the best macha ice cream with generous macha dust sprinkled on top. Also because I finally found something for my kids. Rocker's souvenir was bought the day before and he liked it very much (pictures sent via whatsapp. In case you didn't know, our coach has WIFI, how cool is it? Cool, right? Or am I dated? Whatever....I am happy, that's good enough)
  • Angered because we were served food court food with no drinks! And it was too rush. I am on holiday remember? If I had wanted the adrenaline rush, I could have stayed home in Kuala Lumpur!! That's the reason Rocker57 and I dislike guided tours. Early wake up calls and scheduled itinerary. Unfortunately, I speak no Japanese, else, I would have gone on my own free and easy tour. Plus living in Japan is expensive so, a guided tour is the best bet! Best bet? Errr......
  • Hideous because of the reekiest toilets I've come across in Japan thus far.
  • Satisfied because I bought gifts for my loved ones & a set of expensive handmade traditional Japanese dolls with certificates for our cabinet where we collect items from places we have visited. 
Our final two nights were in Osaka and we stayed at Ramada hotel.

Well, I need to bid you adieu as it has been a loooooooooong write. Look me up soon for my final night in Japan where we went local and got lost in Osaka...HUH? What happened? Well....be patient....ya.

To learn more about my other days in Japan, please go to :
  • Day 1 : http://superbiker48.blogspot.com/2013/04/tokyo-city-tour-kobe-beef-4-april-2013.html
  • Day 2 : http://superbiker48.blogspot.com/2013/04/tokyomt-fujiyatsugatake-5-april-2013.html
  • Day 3 : http://superbiker48.blogspot.com/2013/04/yatsugatakeshirakawa-gotakayama-6-april.html

忍耐
Nintai
"patience" in Japanese

Years ago, my school's motto was Patience is virtue or was it integrity is virtue? Aiyah...I did say years ago right? For a half century+1....that must have been a looong time ago, so please bear with me.


No comments: