Friday, January 4, 2013

The Orchard, Kuala Pilah.


Super low hanging fruits-Cempedak or in English Artocarpus Integer

Hai & Happy New Year! 

Hah...I know, I know....I have been missing for over 2 weeks since my last blog ( http://superbiker48.blogspot.com/2012/12/emperess-lunch-at-wan-sin.html  ) Did you missed me? Hehehehe...I was busy after the last blog, so didn't have time to update on the orchard I visited after our Empress meal. Also, I recently returned from my ride to Hatyai / Songkhla, pre-Christmas. The latter I will share with you after my orchard visit, ya. So, do stay tuned. 

After our sumptuous meal, we went to this privately owned orchard. The proprietor; Mr. Tong Jeng Gee is a retired professional. After his retirement as a General Manager, he started this orchard to live a laid-back and peaceful life in a quaint village about a few kilometers away from Kuala Pilah, Negeri Sembilan.

The kind Mr Tong, plucking his cross breed oranges for us to eat.
Just a short drive from the slip road into his orchard cum abode, approx. 300meters in, we were welcomed by rows of fruit trees ranging from :

Durian tree just outside Mr Tong's house.
Me and one of the free Durian offered by Mr Tong.

Durian in 'the flesh'...finger licking Gooooood!!!

~ Durian (aka king of fruits) or as Wikipedia puts it
Durian (pron.: /ˈdjʊriən/)[2] is the fruit of several tree species belonging to the genus Durio and the Malvaceae family[1][3] (although some taxonomists place Durio in a distinct family, Durionaceae[1]).

It was off / tail end season when we arrived. Mr Tong had already sold most of his fruits of labour. However, he still offered us the fruit that he chose not to sell as he doesn't feel that it meets the criteria. He is very particular with the quality of the fruits that leaves his orchard, so professional and ethical of him. I like honest people and I like Mr Tong the first time I set eyes on him. Unassuming and down to earth. No airs, very friendly and exudes warm hospitality despite the rain! Yup, the rain dampened our field trip to walk around his orchard that surrounds his home.

We were fortunate to be able to savour the king of fruits. Honestly, despite what he said "Sorry, these fruits are not up to standard, if you don't mind, you can try". He quickly went on to open two for us.... He mentioned the brand...to me all durians look alike! I can't differentiate between D24, Musang King, Ang Hae, Raja Kunyit, XO, etc...incidentally, if you are new to durian, those are the so-called 'brands'. Verdict? The fruits were good! Fleshy, sweet and aromatic. Despite being very full after the heavy lunch, 3 of us finished off the two fruits! Making me feel like the Pacman monsters!!! chomp! chomp! chomp!

~ ciku or in English Manilkara Zapota or commonly known as sapodilla



See...the cikus are soooo reachable!!!
~ Papaya growing just outside the house...slightly taller than me but bearing oh so many fruits.... By the way, my friends bought some home for a few ringgit only! Mr Tong forgot to pluck one for me but as we were rushing home in the rain, I had to take a rain check on the papaya and hope to return with the bikers next time around.
Papaya O Papaya. U r so fertile!!
 And then, there were flowers...Bunga Raya or Hibiscus, our national flower in different hues and blooms. I learnt that day from Mr Tong that there are over 60 different types of hibiscus!! Here are some for you to appreciate :




And to wash down our seafood, terrapin, froglegs, etc, we had the cross bred oranges freshly plucked from the tree located a stone's throw away from the front of his house.


The flesh is between orange and pomelo...juicy and sweet!
In spite of being pampered like princesses, we had to bid Mr Tong and his lovely wife farewell. I have a long drive home after dropping Christina and Philo back to Seremban, some 40 odd kilometers from the orchard. I promised Mr Tong that I will bring the bikers to visit him when durian is in season. Mr Tong welcomes the idea but kindly reminded me that he wants to retain his low profile. I respect that and shall abide to his request and keep to my promise. 

Having said that, he looked around his porch area and smilingly said "I think it can fit 20 bikes" Vrrroooom Vrrroooom Mr Tong, see you soon!

Remember to stay tuned to my trip to  Hatyai & Songkhla, ya! Until then... here's my new year wish to everyone :

A year passes by very fast; good or bad it doesn't last,
Life is what you make of it; so LIVE it, LOVE it & EMBRACE it.

May 2013 brings you new hopes; Opportunities pouring continuously like links in ropes,
May it shower you & loved ones with lotta love; Together with Good Health, Wealth, Happiness & Success in droves.

Laugh louder, play harder and love deeper; Keep enemies a mile away but good friends oh do love them dearer,
We are all passers-by; so forgive and forget & let hatred pass you by,
Appreciate & gratify those who stood by you; 2013 would be a great year for you!

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!


No comments: