Tuesday, December 13, 2011

SiR eLToN J0hN CONCERT 22.nOv.2011

Eventhough, both rocker57 and I love his songs very much, the steep ticket prices made us rethink it over and over again. Finally, we decided not to attend the legendary Sir Elton John's (EJ) concert @ the Arena of Stars in Genting Highlands
Cost analysis - 2 Elton John tickets (RM480 each for so-so seats OK?!?!), if I were to add another RM830, that's the total cost of our tour to Da Nang, Vietnam in Jan 2012 for two persons on a 4D/3N stay inclusive of return flight, accommodation & reserved seating!! So, we opted not to attend with a heavy heart. 
Lo and behold...our lucky stars and the EJ angels were eaves dropping and answered our woes. At the 11th hour, Rocker57's niece gave us two complimentary tickets! We were thrilled to bits with the free tickets. And was in cloud nine when we found that it was center position and quite near the stage! WOWZA, how good can this get?
Complimentary tickets!!
On the event day, Rocker57 clocked off promptly from work. We were stuck in traffic on the way to the Resort but managed to arrive an hour before the show, just sufficient time to grab a quick bite before the show starts.
Ushered in & comfortably seated, we waited for the legend to appear. A duet electric cellists from Croatia kicked start the show with a bang. I've never heard such beautiful sounds from a cello before and I'd always had the impression that cellist are a bore due to the huge and restrictive movement of the cello. Boy was I WRONG! If I were 2 decades younger, I would be scrambling to be their fans. These young men were simply electrifying!! The quick pace of music and the passion they displayed was mesmerizing and addictive. I was SOLD!!


At 8.30pm, in walks the legend. At 64, I expected things to be mellow but boy was I wrong again for the second time within 30minutes. Ian Gillian from Deep Purple was a far cry from our legend. EJ merely had seeps of water after every two songs, but Ian was drinking half a glass! I SALUTE you, Sir Elton John! 

Obviously, you would have read by now, the press write ups about the concert. But the press did not tell you that EJ climbed up the Yamaha grand piano and jumped off it. I was so afraid he may injure himself and not be able to perform his next concert...I mean with his weight and slow reflexes and all...errr...at 64, I wouldn't do it! But hey...he's THE legend, so who am I to comment, eh?
Its obvious EJ can't have much showmanship if he keeps hammering at the piano, right? DUH! But he took the effort to walk to both ends of the stage to send flying kisses to his beloved audience who paid huge sums just to watch him sing. He was adorable. 

He also made many elated when he touched and shake the hands of the VVIP and VIP audience. I envy those who had the opportunity. But I felt blessed that I had the opportunity to be in the same place with the legend for 2.5hours of continuous melodious songs from EJ.
Clearly, he was singing "Candle in the Wind"


Although EJ did not take my breath away, but his concert was memorable and simply awesome. He did mentioned that he would like to bring his son back to visit Malaysia someday...hope he does for Malaysia is truly Asia.

Guess what? Elton came back for a 20mins ENCORE!! Told you he was adorable. To me, it was an electrifying and 'Eltonic' night! The PA system was bombastic, the acoustic clear and the lead guitarist - awesome. 


FYI, the drummer has been with EJ since 1969 when he first started while the lead guitarist joined in 1971. These two goes way way back with EJ. Although half the time, EJ and band played something from the past and something from the present which I've not heard of, but his rendition of a remix of 'ROCKET MAN' was superb!

Well...what can I say? The legend made 22.Nov, a heavenly night, for me that is.









No comments: